1. Be yourself, always. Seriously.
2. Wear black and a pop of your current color crush (mine is teal right now).
3. Wear your favorite pieces. Who cares if they aren’t new. They’ve survived your closet edits for a reason. Wear them proudly. Mine are my creme pink sunnies from Forever 21. They fit beautifullly and match with everything. I’ve worn them to death over the past 5 years.
4. Bare face, bright lip! Nothing says effortless, like a bold, confident lip and a fresh face. NYX butter glosses are perfect for an easy lightweight lip. My go-to shade right now is Peach Cobbler.
5. Be different, be you! Instead of buying only trends and popular labels, research smaller designers and visit local markets that feature independent designers and brands. I discovered Min Mon last year at Artist & Fleas in Soho and immediately fell in love with their whimsical and chic approach to leather goods. The crossbody I am wearing by them brings me so much happiness. It’s also quite the conversation piece.
6. Have a signature piece of jewelry. Whether it’s a family heirloom, an artisanal find, or costume jewelry. Find a piece you love and never want to take off- then never take it off. My middle finger ring is a retired piece from Tiffany & Company
7. Wear it like YOU would. Between ads and social media, we are constantly bombarded with images on what things SHOULD look like. I say, if you’re buying it, you should wear it the way you would and not worry what everyone else is doing
8. Again, be yourself, always. It’s the best way to stand out!
Even for the most eager risers, dawn can be a fuzzy time. The dawn of 2018 has been particularly fuzzy time for me. 19 days in and I’m still rubbing my eyes, arms reaching for furniture to hold on to while I wake up.
I can’t decide whether I want to run a mile or eat my weight in pita chips. I have been wearing variations of the same outfit for weeks because it’s been so bloody cold in NYC. To say I’m entering 2018 a little wobbly is an understatement and I’ll admit a bit foreign to me.
So instead of getting anxious and worried about the resolutions I’m supposed to be making and the new planner I need to be writing in. I’m just going to get through the beginning of this year by putting my pants on one leg at a time- as if there is any other way.
Speaking of clothing, I’m keeping it simple stupid for this ‘wobbly’ stage. It’s freezing and the holidays left me exhausted. These days I just want a fool proof winter look that is polished and keeps me warm.
turtleneck + coat + beret = my winter look
Oh and pants are a part of that too, again it’s freezing here, we can’t go bottomless.
A light colored turtleneck is key, it provides a nice contrast with dark colored outwear, I love my blush one from Uniqlo. Keeping the head warm is also important and you don’t have to keep wearing that skully that once belonged to your ex. Jump on the beret bandwagon, you’ll like it, it’s fun and feminine! Definitely opt for a wool beret, like my Kangol, for optimal warmth. Next, pick a stretchy pant that can comfortably fit a fleece leggings underneath – perhaps your favorite stretch denim. Finally, throw on a tailored wool coat for structure and you are done!
That’s it, that’s my only strategy for 2018 so far -clothing or otherwise. That’s all I got ! I’m starting to acquiesce to the fact that I can wake up to 2018 slowly and maybe even fumble a bit. I don’t have to have it all figured out, no one needs to. It will all fall into place as it should, and as it always has every year prior!
Hope your new year is off to rocking start Birds, thanks for staying with me!